“Music reflects the culture and society we live in, and so the teaching and learning of music enables children to better understand the world we live in. Besides being a creative and enjoyable activity, music can also be a highly academic and demanding subject. It also plays an important part in helping children feel part of the community. We provide at Sinai, opportunities for all children to create, play perform and enjoy music.”
Our aims of music are to enable children to:
- Develop a love of music
- Help children make sense of sounds of music by investigation, exploring, experimenting, inventing,
- practising and selecting
- Carry out group activities in a harmonious manner, co-operating, communicating, sharing ideas and building self-confidence
- Develop a basic understanding of musical notation
- Develop an awareness and appreciation of musical traditions and developments at different times and in a variety of cultures
- Celebrate children’s musical successes and achievements
- Integrate music through the curriculum
- Have the ability to evaluate and appraise pieces of music
- Have a means to express ideas and feelings through sound
Variety of Music
All children are given opportunities to perform, compose, listen to and appraise music. This year, all year groups have been using Symbol Smash. Symbol Smash encourages pupils to look at new ways of expressing musical ideas through classical music and interactive experiences. Created by experts in music education, and in Primary/Early learning, SymbolSmash has exceptional resources that combine music with every other subject in the curriculum, from Early Years to Key Stage 2.
Extra Curricular Music
Sinai children enjoy choir rehearsals that meet every week as well as weekly Glee Club. The choir participates in Boys town Hall festival, sings at Jewish Care events, assemblies, and elderly people homes and was invited to participate in the special event for Lord Sacks. Our choir often participates in Yom Ha”atzmaut and other productions linked to festivals.
Parents have the opportunity to subscribe to a number of private music lessons, details are available on the After School and Lunchtime Clubs page of the website. .