The dedicated primary PE and Sport Premium, which was announced by the Government in March 2013 and began the following September, goes directly to primary school head teachers so that they can decide how best to use it to provide sporting activities for pupils.
Primary School Sport Funding
At Sinai Jewish Primary School, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the pupils. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport ‘s funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver quality PE sessions.
Primary School Sports Funding
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government continues to provide funding to enhance healthy lifestyles of pupils in education and to encourage lifelong healthy habits.
The funding is jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport and they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE.
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport/dance.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport.
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport.
- Providing places for pupils to participate in after school sport clubs and residential visits.